Saturday, November 08, 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer



(464 pages)
5 stars


When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town. But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella. Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car. Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward's coldness. He, and his family, are vampires and he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

I only started reading this because I had heard there was a movie being made of it, and I prefer reading a book before I see the movie. I was expecting soppy mush, but that is not what I got, meaning that I was pleasantly surprised.
Whilst there was a lot of romance, and a bit of soppiness, there was also a significant amount of teenage angs and vampireyness (the part i was looking forward to). A nice slow moving wenthralling novel, with an intriguing collection of characters, built up gradually to an explosive crescendo foloowing the arrival of James and his 'coven'. I convince myself I knew how it was going to end, but I was wring, which again made me happy.
I enjoyed it so much I went and bought the rest of the series and I am now reading part 2 - New Moon.
A must for all romantics with a taste for the vampiric :)

1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
to a bold, attractive candle Light??
Don’t let His extravagant brilliance be extinguished.
You’re creative, yes? Then, fly-away with us…

Whether you obtain morality4mortality to wiseabove
or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile:
I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:

Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
An XtraXcitinXpose with no
zooillogical-expiration-date?
An IQ much higher than K2?
An extraordinarily, anti-establishment victory
with a sardonic, satirical wit Who’s savvy??
Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
(with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):

“Faith, hope, and love,
the greatest of these is love -
jump into faith...
and you'll see with love”
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
God believes in you.

Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
from a passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House.