Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(188 pages)



Winnie Foster, a teenage girl on the cusp of maturity, longs for a life outside the control of her domineering mother. When lost in the woods near her home, she happens upon Jesse Tuck, a boy unlike any she's ever met before. He and his family are kind and generous, and they immediately take her in as one of their own. However, the Tucks hold a powerful secret, and with the mysterious Man in the Yellow Suit tracking them down, they fear that the world as they know it could end. Ultimately, Winnie must decide whether to return to her life or stay with her beloved Jesse and his family forever.

This was an absolutely wonderful read. Having seen the fabulous movie adaptation (with William Hurt and Sissy Spacek) I felt it essential that I read this. I was not disappointed in the least. All the characters (the man in the yellow suit aside) were really likeable, and I had a tear in my eye at the end. This is one that I would read to my children (when I have some) to teach them about the importance of life and death. I think this is one of the best children's stories that I have ever read, and must recommend it to absolutely everybody!!

No comments: